Wednesday, February 10, 2010

23 Things ...I wish I could do better.

I really am out here --trying. For years, I've felt like I'm racing against the computer...and trying to keep up with new things. Frustration. So, quite honestly, I welcomed the 23 Things for Archivists RAO program. Ready to embrace so many more new things because of it.



The curse ---it couldn't have come at a worse time.

Like most of you, there are far too many things on my plate. This workshop is supposed to be my way to relax and "professionally develop". I even marked it on my Google calendar (scheduled myself in twice a day to work on these tasks). That worked well, didn't it?



Last week brought the crash of the Access Database supposedly designed as our "Search the Archives" catalog. Nice try. I inherited it along with some funky descriptions that provide anything other than access to anything. My colleague, Nancy and I (there are only two of us, and Nancy works part-time) are exploring a cataloging options, and I'd welcome suggestions.

Archon is in the lead, and for some things PastPerfect. A combination of the two might get us where we need to be. We do use ContentDM, and I would also welcome comments from those suffering through another CDM upgrade. We are a hosted site, but outsource the digitizing of our newspapers. Planning the yearbooks and catalogues, too. Vendors??

I am intent on having at least one or two chats on Meebo today.



I managed to sign up for Meebo, but haven't used it yet. I've subscribed to a few RSS feeds, including SAA, my favorite professional organization, The Irish Times,my favorite newspaper, The Families of Flight 3407

1 comment:

  1. I can't tell you much about suggestions for your catalog, but I want to reassure you that you're doing fine on 23 things. :) It really is a go-at-your-own-pace program.

    I'm going out of town for a few days tomorrow, but I'm happy to chat with you on Meebo sometime after Tuesday--just let me know!

    ReplyDelete